Thursday, September 28, 2006

The FMCG dream...

And so finally my rural sales stint in Orissa is over...
It was quite comfortable compared to what some of my friends have been going through in an effort to become successful sales/marketing professionals in the FMCG sector.
Every year all these companies pick up bright (atleast they hope to) young MBAs from the top b-schools in the country and then send them off for a reality check in one of the many rural parts of the country.
Some of us survive it and continue to pursue what we always thought was our dream, while others wake up and find that they would prefer a desk job (ofcourse in an AC office) after all. No more excitement of working in the field, no more fighting with those impossible looking targets.
I am still deciding which of the two catgories I would end up in, though as of now it seems to be the first one. However, only time will tell. Still lot of sales and marketing stints to go, this was just the first one. Dont know if I was able to add any value through the project I did, but it did add to my learning and understanding. So I guess that was a good thing.
Next stop - Ranchi

No comments: